I’ve never been to Universal Studios. That’s even after being to the States and living here in Singapore for years.
Where have I been? Not in Universal Studios, that’s for sure. I don’t know what took me so long to go there (not for lack of being juvenile), but I’m really glad I finally went there over the weekend. Because Universal Studios = universal fun!
Things you MUST do in Hollywood:
– Watch Monster Rock ( a 20- minute musical theatre show) at the Pantages Theatre.
– Try to catch the four cute performers who jam like the Beach Boys at Mel’s (50’s inspired, American) Diner!
In “New York”, we had pizzas (those really big slices) and watched the parade go by. We even saw a few very familiar faces…
Theme Park MUST- Haves:
– Sunblock Lotion
– Ice Cream!!!
At the Science Fiction front, the Transformers ride did not disappoint. I’ve heard of people raving all about it, and rightly so! It’s… it’s… I don’t want to spoil the ride’s twists and turns for you. Suffice it to say, it’s. very. very. cool. Operative words: VERY VERY. What do you expect, it’s Michael Bay- optimus director of all movies VERY VERY.
Things you MUST do in Science Fiction:
– The VERY VERY … … Transformers Ride!
– Battlestar Gallactica- a monstrosity of a roller coaster. There are two of them- the Red track and the Blue one. They say you should ride Red first, which is supposed to be a slightly tamer version of the other (if you call 82km/hr speed and 14 floors off the ground tame). You progress into the Blue tracks when you’ve shaken off the jelly out of your legs. But don’t ask me about it… I swear to you, I rode everything… everything except Battlestar Gallactica. Haha!
Things you MUST do in Lost World:
– Watch the Waterworld show, where you might get wet… even soaked (this depends on where you sit- you’ll know).
– Ride the Jurassic Park Rapids… such an amazing turn of events at the end of the ride!
– Ride the Canopy Flyer… for a fast and effective rush!
For me, the best ride of them all… was the Mummy Returns. Killer roller coaster (in the dark) and horror train in one.
WHAT. A. RIDE!!!
The Madagascar area was not so happening. The rides were, I think, meant for the younger set (carousels and stuff). I stopped there to ogle at the cute penguin mascots (from the Madagascar movie) and just stopped for a quick rest, basically.
Far, Far Away, though…
And what is a visit to Universal Studios without meeting its stars?
All in all, it was a pretty fun day! After all, Universal Studios = universal fun!
Photos 9, 11, 12 by Jawo Bolivar
*If you would like to receive and read more letters, please feel free to subscribe. Thank you.
More letters, more love!
Photography and text by Author unless otherwise stated. All rights reserved.